🚨COVID-19 Megathread: 6.5 million cases worldwide

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Today, 13:52
Coronavirus: COVID-19 patient attended London conference with 250 people
Attendees are receiving emails informing them that a person suffering from COVID-19 had been at the event in the capital.

One of the people diagnosed with coronavirus in the UK attended a conference near parliament last week along with about 250 other delegates.

The patient, who has not been named, attended the UK Bus Summit at Westminster's QEII Centre in central London on 6 February.

The event was described as the "premier bus event covering all parts of the UK".

DS86DS

Local time
A frightening prospect, this could be one of the major catastrophes of the 21st century if things get out of hand. I hope that the HSE and Government will have measures in place, and relatively soon.

The two thirds figure for one would seem to suggest a contagion equalling the Black Death outbreak in it's consequences for society. Hopefully that is not the case and modern solutions can be found to prevent such another disaster of biblical proportions.

The novel coronavirus epidemic could spread to two-thirds of the world’s population if it cannot be controlled, according to Hong Kong’s leading public health epidemiologist.

His warning came after the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) said recent cases of coronavirus patients who have never visited China could be the “tip of the iceberg”.

Professor Gabriel Leung, chair of Public Health Medicine at Hong Kong University, said the overriding question was to figure out the size and shape of the iceberg. Most experts thought that each person infected would go on to transmit the virus to around 2.5 other people. That gave an “attack rate” of 60-80 per cent.

“Sixty per cent of the world’s population is an awfully big number,” Mr Leung told the Guardian in London, en route to an expert meeting at the WHO in Geneva.
🔹️🔹️🔹️

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Latest figures released.

Coronavirus update:
- 66,887 cases worldwide
- 10,109 suspected cases
- 1,523 fatalities
- 10,757 in serious/critical condition
- 7,720 recovered
- Most cases in China
- Today: First case in Egypt
- 26 countries reporting cases

Test Account

Local time
The figures are certainly worrying, I have heard people suggest we could be looking at this hitting in similar numbers within the next 30 days in the west.

Olli Rehn

Local time
A frightening prospect, this could be one of the major catastrophes of the 21st century if things get out of hand. I hope that the HSE and Government will have measures in place, and relatively soon.

The two thirds figure for one would seem to suggest a contagion equalling the Black Death outbreak in it's consequences for society. Hopefully that is not the case and modern solutions can be found to prevent such another disaster of biblical proportions.

🔹️🔹️🔹️

But what about the Muslims being the majority in this country by 2040? Where does that fit in in your calculations?

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
But what about the Muslims being the majority in this country by 2040? Where does that fit in in your calculations?
I believe it is a myth that this virus is only targetting Asians, If this were the case then it would certainly suggest that it was a biological weapon. It is my own personal view that the virus has spread throughout China as it began there and the worry is without any vaccination we could be seeing similar numbers throughout the world in 30 days' time.

Olli Rehn

Local time
Another thing nobody talks about is the increasing shortages of medication and medical products. Most medication is made in China or India. The Chinese need the stuff for themselves now and stopped a lot of production altogether due to the crisis- and that leaves us in Europe exposed to great dangers. Chemists in countries like Germany are feeling the pressure more and more. Long waiting lists for simple products like iboprufen or blood pressure control medication are the norm now. Antibiotics are next.
It was a huge mistake to outsource the production of most pharmaceutical products to Asia.
Folks are talking about the Irish being a minority in 20 years time or so- but are unable to see the important clear and present dangers.

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Today, 08:52

This is a fantastic updating map. Always with the big jump about midnight Irish time when china releases the daily update.

I am focused on the figures that can be trusted. On the cruise ship in Japan, out of just over 1200 tested 355 are positive. There were about 3500 on board. Singapore is another spot I am watching . Good system, but is it not similar to the ship. 75 cases, 58 just 2 days ago. The rate of growth being vital.

No great stock market concern yet, so we await the markets opening at 11pm Irish time

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
This guy Harry Chen on Twitter posts a lot of interesting video from China regarding the virus.

Sparta

Local time
Seems to be a lot of fuss over something that kills less than flu.

I dont think we need be worried ?

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Seems to be a lot of fuss over something that kills less than flu.

I dont think we need be worried ?
Put it this way, about 3-4 weeks ago there were about 50 cases in China.

Mowl

Local time
Today, 15:52
Having watched several videos by that Harry Chen person, I find the conspiracy theorists a tad ridiculous given the video evidence. I fail to see how any of those uploads could possibly have been staged as suggested by some.

I guess some people are just naturally given to being as obtuse as possible.

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
When the big tech companies start to become concerned you can bet this is something that we should all fear.

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
A good video of the breakdown of China.

WARNING - It contains some distressing scenes.

Mowl

Local time
Today, 15:52
Isn't that basically a compilation of that Harry Chen person's uploads?

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Isn't that basically a compilation of that Harry Chen person's uploads?
I don't believe I have seen the person falling from the tower block previously. It seems to contain some unseen previous video images. Makes a good combination to grasp some of the scales of the problems they are facing over there.