Black Lives Matter - Why I Support Them

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Today, 19:16

A Comrade here has suggested that my support for BLM is misguided, so I thought I would set out the reasons for my support and answer some of the criticisms. In the first place, I have a lot of respect for the three ladies who founded BLM. They are highly intelligent, educated, and articulate women. They remind me of Bernadette Devlin and Máire Drumm back in the day. And nobody can deny that something needs to be done about US society. Now, it might be claimed that US society is none of our business. But, the reality is that, because we speak English, Irish minds are totally influenced by whatever fad or trend is going on in the USA. So, we do have a vested interest in the USA becoming a civilized society.

Now, my support for BLM is not without criticism. They support abortion, and we know that abortion is the Number One killer of black people in the USA. Killing your future soldiers is hardly good strategic thinking. However, the need for an organization like BLM is so great, that I'm willing to put that issue to one side for the moment and hope that good sense will eventually prevail.

The following criticisms have been put to me as reasons why we should not support BLM. I will answer each in turn.

BLM uses violence to achieve its ends.

Actually, they don't. But, if they did, they would be just maintaining the long tradition of political violence in the USA. The USA was founded on extreme violence against the Native population and the African slaves - along with plenty of extreme violence against the destitute migrants who flooded in from Europe and other places.

But, BLM does not use violence - and no police force or state body has ever suggested they do. As after the police beating of Rodney King, a huge wave of violent protest was launched by the murder of George Floyd. The violence was launched by this murder - not by BLM. BLM was still quite a small group at the time and had no organizational ability to launch such an outpouring of grief and anger. What made Floyd's death different to the many police killings of unarmed black people that are perpetrated every single year in the USA was the extremely public and ritualistic nature of the murder. As was the case with Rodney King, people could see the sheer bestiality of the police right before their eyes on their phones and computer screens and TVs.

Black Lives Matter was an already made slogan that people used to express their anger and dismay. BLM did not condemn the violent reaction - but they did not create it either.

BLM seeks to overthrow the Nuclear Family

This is utter nonsense that the more dishonest type of right wingers have latched on to. In the BLM manifesto, BLM states that it is against the NECESSITY of the nuclear family. It never says it's against a man and a women setting up home and having children. Just that those many families that have more complex arrangements should not be treated as inferior. And this is only common sense. Even here in Ireland over 50% of all children are being born out of wedlock. Are we to brand these children "bastards?" Of course not.

BLM seeks to overthrow the Judeo-Christian Order

This is another hysterical talking point of the far right. And that's pretty ironic, because historically the far right have not always been very favourable to the Judeo-Christian Order. And why is this Order the only one suitable for North America anyway? It's a very new arrival there. But, besides all of those obvious points, it appears that the main reason our right wingers think BLM want to overthrow the Judeo-Christian Order is that one of their members or supporters suggested that images that present Jesus as a white European should be taken down. Well, whatever about the wisdom of that, it seems to me that this fellow is not at all seeking the end of the Judeo-Christian Order, but to just give Jesus back his naturally dark skin colour. That would seem to me as if Jesus was highly important to him.

By drawing attention to race, BLM are preventing racial integration in the USA

Well, BLM hasn't been around for the last 300 years - and racial integration didn't happen then either. Particularly after WW2, there was a whole generation of educated black young men and women who really believed that if they dressed and spoke and behaved like WASPs, they'd be allowed into the club. But, the WASPs didn't want them in the club. Now the club is pretty much gone. The WASP still has a great deal of power, but he no longer has hegemonic control of America. In short, even if black people wanted to integrate into the WASP Order, it no longer exists. So, something new and better has to be built.

BLM is just a front group for the Democratic Party - Set up to overthrow Trump

Actually, BLM was founded in 2013, when Obama was President. It was founded in response to the murder of teenager Trayvon Mártin. BLM has continued its activism regardless of who is in power - and will continue to do so after this election. It is true that BLM is supporting Biden and Harris - while pointing out the bad record of both of them in relation to police violence. But, in a two horse race you have to pick one of them, and Trump is too beholding to the far right for him ever to be able to do anything to really change anything - even if he wanted to.

If BLM got their way we'd have no police and my hamster wouldn't be safe to cross the road

BLM is not calling for the end of policing, but for an end to the Peeler Model of Policing, which sees police forces as armies of occupation rather than as community services. Defund the Police is a slogan that sounds strange to our ears, but it doesn't mean take all money out of policing - it means don't put all the money into policing - put some of it into the community development that would create a world were less policing would be necessary.

BLM seeks to overthrow Dog Eat Dog Capitalism, i.e. The American Way

Excellent.

Two of the Three Founding Members of BLM are "Trained Marxists."

Most Excellent.

Last edited:

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
We need a facepalm emoji on this forum :)
Why do you post a picture of a cherubic 12-year-old.. instead of a picture of a powerful black male who had attacked someone and was in the process of beating him to death on the ground?

Vargo Hoat

Trusted Member
Local time
The mainstreaming of this movement, and the rush by corporations, celebrities, politicians, social media idiots etc to self flagellate before BLM, suggests that it has become little more than a fad.

It's also a distraction. I would suggest that police violence is somewhere near the bottom of the list of concerns that black people face in the US .The real catastrophe that has befallen black Americans in the past 50 years has been the collapse of the married family. Almost 80 per cent of black families in the US are headed by a single parent. What young black people need is direction and guidance, not a pat on the head from brainless politicians and cynical businessmen

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Why do you post a picture of a cherubic 12-year-old.. instead of a picture of a powerful black male who had attacked someone and was in the process of beating him to death on the ground?
Derek Chauvin is not black.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
The mainstreaming of this movement, and the rush by corporations, celebrities, politicians, social media idiots etc to self flagellate before BLM, suggests that it has become little more than a fad.

It's also a distraction. I would suggest that police violence is somewhere near the bottom of the list of concerns that black people face in the US .The real catastrophe that has befallen black Americans in the past 50 years has been the collapse of the married family. Almost 80 per cent of black families in the US are headed by a single parent. What young black people need is direction and guidance, not a pat on the head from brainless politicians and cynical businessmen

Then we are both agreed that the current status quo is not working. BLM is just saying that.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
Against four cops - while he was ill and couldn't even stand?
I believe he was handcuffed as well.

Perhaps you misunderstood my statement, because that's all it was. I originally wrote the first two words in the more American "I guess..", but really it was just a statement (of fact).

Although, I also put it in contrast with Zimmerman.. who was in a position to defend himself, and did.

O

Old Timer

it has become little more than a fad.
Oh, its much worse than that. BLM is one of several violent front groups the American left calls on when they are on the back foot and in need of distraction and disruptions. Notice how BLM are going after ordinary American homes and businesses. The true oppressors and social engineers, the financial and political elites are left unmolested. The police are targeted because they bring order to ordinary peoples lives. Elites have private security and their own militias if necessary. BLM is supported by the organs of the elite, the media, Hollywood and corporate sports. BLM is the elite, they are not fighting for the little man or ordinary Americans who have no power to change their nation.

The very title of BLM is a form of gas-lighting. Until recently their public view was that the family unit needed disbanding. Note, they failed to tell us what would take place of the family in their now deleted manifesto. And yet, many socioligists and Black leaders have bemoaned the state of fatherless black families as one of the chief factors in the failure of modern black communities. BLM seeks to perpetuate this disaster.

It is clear BLM is a fraudulent organization. Anyone supporting them are clearly willing bit part players in the ongoing fraud against real Black Americans. Many are waking up the BLM lie however.

And let us not forget that BLM is also a money laundering front for Biden's campaign. There is a huge social media campaign to cover up this reality. A simple google or YouTube search results in pages of pro BLM propaganda. Big Tech, agents of the New Order, are very much protecting the BLM public image, disintegrating as it is.

O

Old Timer

Donations to BLM Are Funneled Through Democrat Related ActBlue and Handled by Organization Led By Member of Weather Underground Terrorist Group

We reported on May 30th the recent riots in Democrat-led cities around the country were coordinated and related to three main groups: 1) US based Islamist Organizations, 2) Domestic terrorists, and 3) Others related to the Democrat Party.

Today we uncover a fourth major contributor, a Clinton pardoned member of the Weather Underground, Susan Rosenberg.

There clearly was no reason for the mass riots taking place around the country after the death of the individual at the hands of the police in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Everyone who saw the police brutality was appalled and outraged at the sight of the policeman kneeling on the victims neck for an incredibly long period of time. The man died. But nothing warrants the wholesale destruction of property and and riots around the US since that event.

O

Old Timer

George Soros’s Foundation Pours $220 Million Into Racial Equality Push
Mr. Soros’s group will invest $150 million in grants for Black-led racial justice groups, and another $70 million toward local grants for criminal justice reform and civic engagement opportunities.

O

Old Timer

Tadgh, get back to us when BLM/Antifa go after the real oppressors and landlords like Amazon and JP Morgan Bank.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time