Exciting news: I have just bought a new bull!

valamhic

Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:55
In the midst of all the Corona doom and gloom comes one ray of sun light. I sold my last bull (Hercules) over a year ago because the heifers were all his progeny and I could not keep him. Then there was a gap when I used AI services for to put my cows in calf. Its awkward putting then into a house to get them done. The cattle marts are closed due to Covid 19 and I could not buy. Now there are virtual marts, where you can buy and sell cattle (including bulls) on line.

So I have just clinched a deal for new Charolais (22 months old). He comes from County Leitrim and is highly recommended. There is a history of winning rosettes at shows in his ancestry. So I am so excited. 100 Euros deposit paid and delivery this coming week after TB test results for pre-movement is complete.

So exciting!

Last edited:

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Today, 01:55
This is indeed good news and you did not chance a Roscommon bull that could be a scrub like Olli.

Call the bull Mike O Bama and it will be good luck

valamhic

Staff member
Local time
This is indeed good news and you did not chance a Roscommon bull that could be a scrub like Olli.

Call the bull Mike O Bama and it will be good luck
looking at Olli every day is enough without another reminder of him.

Mike O Bama, Is that Gaelic? Never thought of choosing a name. I am very superstitious in some ways

D

Deleted member 73

In the midst of all the Corona doom and gloom comes one ray of sun light. I sold my last bull (Hercules) over a year ago because the heifers were all his progeny and I could not keep him. Then there was a gap when I used AI services for to put my cows in calf. Its awkward putting then into a house to get them done. The cattle marts are closed due to Covid 19 and I could not buy. Now there are virtual marts, where you can buy and sell cattle (including bulls) on line.

So I have just clinched a deal for new Charolais (22 months old). He comes from County Leitrim and is highly recommended. There is a history of winning rosettes at shows in his ancestry. So I am so excited. 100 Euros deposit paid and delivery this coming week after TB test results for pre-movement is complete.

So exciting!
Have the prices changed much with the virus?

I am tempted to buy one for myself and ride it around the estate like the queen I am.

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
How much did you invest in this animal?

DS86DS

Local time
Have the prices changed much with the virus?

I am tempted to buy one for myself and ride it around the estate like the queen I am.
Have you ever actually seen a bull in real life? They are fairly scary looking.

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time

Land is very cheap up near the border. 700 acres is not very much compared to places in Idaho of course but there is the advantage that there is only one type of dangerous snake, a timberland rattler, which as rattler go, is mild compared to western types of rattlers

valamhic

Staff member
Local time
Have you ever actually seen a bull in real life? They are fairly scary looking.
No but

Land is very cheap up near the border. 700 acres is not very much compared to places in Idaho of course but there is the advantage that there is only one type of dangerous snake, a timberland rattler, which as rattler go, is mild compared to western types of rattlers
I was in Wyoming, the grass is like whin bushes. 100 acres to feed a cow

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
No but

I was in Wyoming, the grass is like whin bushes. 100 acres to feed a cow
I would well believe it.I will do more research on farmland in Vermont.I would need a place with a decent stream or small river to generate electricity. I was watching a video of a guy in New Zealand who was getting 20 amps using motor from an old washing machine and just 4 inches of a water pipe feeding it. Fascinating stuff.

Can you post a picture of the bull or would that enable people to doxx you

Oliver Plunkett

Staff member
Local time
I would well believe it.I will do more research on farmland in Vermont.I would need a place with a decent stream or small river to generate electricity. I was watching a video of a guy in New Zealand who was getting 20 amps using motor from an old washing machine and just 4 inches of a water pipe feeding it. Fascinating stuff.

I just watched that video meself

valamhic

Staff member
Local time

This is the sire my lad is out of. This bull is said to be his father, I hope.1589925229393.png

DS86DS

Local time
Dangerous animals, many a farmer has met his end working with these creatures unfortunately.

Not a job I'd like to do personally and fair play to anybody who has the courage to do so.

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
This is the sire my lad is out of. This bull is said to be his father, I hope.View attachment 334

We have Belted Cattle here Valamhic,you being a scientist could bread your beast and end up with a Green White and Gold steer.

You could then sell to The Irish Patriot who could collect some shekels from nationalists.

valamhic

Staff member
Local time
Dangerous animals, many a farmer has met his end working with these creatures unfortunately.

Not a job I'd like to do personally and fair play to anybody who has the courage to do so.
It is generally accepted by farmers that keeping a bull is not for everyone. The alternatives are to keep only bullocks for fattening, keep heifers for fattening (in which case there can be problems with neighbours bulls breaking out). Use artificial Insemination (not easy to detect heat and not easy to get the cows into the yard for service). Then there is keeping a bull.

The problem is that you never know when a bull can turn on you, he might be grand 99% of the time and change suddenly. I have never been attacked by a bull, but I have been attacked by cows immediately after calving when calves should be sprayed on the navel with disinfectant. .

The best weapon is a tabular steel bar with a welded grip handle and a clasp to attach a wrist leather band. You have to show you are determined to hit him/her hard of the head and actually hit them a light blow on the head. They wont come at you if they know you are going to hit them hard. The biggest problem is loosing the weapon during an attack and the strap prevents that happening.

Last edited:

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Local time
It is generally accepted by farmers that keeping a bull is not for everyone. The alternatives are to keep only bullocks for fattening, keep heifers for fattening (in which case there can be problems with neighbours bulls breaking out). Use artificial Insemination (not easy to detect heat and not easy to get the cows into the yard for service). Then there is keeping a bull.

The problem is that you never know when a bull can turn on you, he might be grand 99% of the time and change suddenly. I have never been attacked by a bull, but I have been attacked by cows immediately after calving when calves should be sprayed on the navel with disinfectant. .

The best weapon is a tabular steel bar with a welded grip handle and a clasp to attach a wrist leather band. You have to show you are determined to hit him/her hard of the head and actually hit them a light blow on the head. They wont come at you if they know you are going to hit them hard. The biggest problem is loosing the weapon during an attack and the strap prevents that happening.
This sounds like a dangerous thing. I have seen natives here mesmorize a wild mustang by breathing up it's nose. Also it is very easy to hynotize a rooster by having it focus on an object, it has a simple brain. I learned it when I was a kid

valamhic

Staff member
Local time
I reckon the real reason you got rid of Hercules was because you couldn't handle the romantic competition
for Daisy in the far field late at night! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 290

Hercules had the edge over you in the bedroom by at least 2 feet I reckon Val! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 292
Well Colm has pulled the plug on Politics.Irish. It was the real life version of a piss up in a brewery. A few nationalists have left Hans and Ricks as they are unhappy and I reported this post for promoting bestiality, (a criminal offence and a civil tort) my report was rejected by moderators. The era of anonymous discussion sites seems to be fading away. Perhaps its a positive development.

Last edited: