Green Party's Hazel Chu elected Lord Mayor of Dublin

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
Today, 07:04
Well done to Mrs. Chu, I am sure she and her family are delighted.

This, however, does highlight how wrong it is that councillors can use Public money to elect a Mayor which sadly, in this case, was agreed in backrooms for the Greens support to join the Programme for Government with Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.

Green Party councillor Hazel Chu has been elected as the 352nd Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Ms Chu was elected with the backing of the Dublin Agreement parties, which include Fianna Fáil, Labour, Social Democrats as well as the Greens.

She also received support from Sinn Féin councillors, getting a total of 43 votes.

Cllr Anne Feeney of Fine Gael received nine votes.

Speaking after her election, Ms Chu said she wanted the Dublin Agreement parties to tackle the housing and homeless crisis which has seemed like "filling a hole in a sinking ship".

Her other priorities are making Dublin a liveable city, fighting discrimination and protecting the vulnerable.

In her speech, she said she wondered if her mother - who worked washing dishes in a restaurant off O'Connell Street - dreamed that her daughter would become Lord Mayor.

Thelasthurrah

Local time

This, however, does highlight how wrong it is that councillors can use Public money to elect a Mayor which sadly, in this case, was agreed in backrooms for the Greens support to join the Programme for Government with Fianna Fail and Fine Gael.

Green Party councillor Hazel Chu has been elected as the 352nd Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Ms Chu was elected with the backing of the Dublin Agreement parties, which include Fianna Fáil, Labour, Social Democrats as well as the Greens.

She also received support from Sinn Féin councillors, getting a total of 43 votes.

Cllr Anne Feeney of Fine Gael received nine votes.

Speaking after her election, Ms Chu said she wanted the Dublin Agreement parties to tackle the housing and homeless crisis which has seemed like "filling a hole in a sinking ship".

Her other priorities are making Dublin a liveable city, fighting discrimination and protecting the vulnerable.

In her speech, she said she wondered if her mother - who worked washing dishes in a restaurant off O'Connell Street - dreamed that her daughter would become Lord Mayor.

Fair play, she did well for herself and seems a decent sort, they'll be hopping mad over on PI mind.
As an aside surely it should just be Mayor and not Lord Mayor.

Last edited:
Local time

??
whats your problem?

Belgrade

Staff member
Admin
Local time
??
whats your problem?
My Problem?

I have no problem at all.

I am personally delighted for Mrs. Chu, I think she genuinely wanted this job and I wish her well. My problem if any is that positions in our political system can be decided in a shady deal such as the Greens forming a government with FF.

I think the Lord Mayor of Dublin position and any position such as this should be put to a democratic vote.

Oliver Plunkett

Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:04
She will be influential in the mass exodus from China coming here. Mark my words, she is for her own people first.

Mishka

Local time
Today, 09:04
Well done, Paddy: now you have your Chinese delivered direct to your establishment.

You stupid virtue signalling bastards.

Oliver Plunkett

Staff member
Local time
What does the Lord Mayor even do?

Seems like a waste of 70k on her salary.
She will grease the wheels of mass Chinese emigration to our shores and see that Chinese companies have no trouble setting up shop.

Mishka

Local time
Are they going to paint the Mansion House yellow in her honour?

Mishka

Local time
Is it rude to throw rice at her in celebration?

Y'kow - like they do at Irish weddings?

Oliver Plunkett

Staff member
Local time
Hazel has been busy defending her dubiously associated colleague while at the same time denouncing free speech and calling for censorship of critics of her party. Is 70K a year enough for this level of work I ask myself?