What's new

Has The Silver Ship Come In?

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Bitcoin uses more electricity than several small countries put together.
Well, the Irish government prizes the production of electricity. It has 11,500 MW of generating capacity. Maximum demand is just north of 5100 MW. They are planning to run the entire car fleet on electricity so we will have 20.000 MW for that. What is the problem. Our government loves data centres wind mills and solar power. All good.

OP
Youngdan

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Gold or silver never changes in price. That is a myth. Its the fiat currency that changes. It always goes down . An ounce of gold mislaid in 1967 when it would buy 34 Dollars and found to day will buy 1500 Dollars. 43 times as much
That is certainly not the correct view to hold for silver. While the supply of gold indeed changes little and little is used up, that is not the same for silver which has but a fraction of the amount there was say 50 or 70 years ago. Silver is within a few years, maybe 15 of becoming basically all used up.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Bitcoin is the bastard offspring of the 2008 Crash. It's an attempt to take government out of currency transactions. But, it has totally failed to do this. All it is is a means of gambling and contraband.
I agree about the moral aspect. But whether we like it or not its real. If someone loses their code their money is forfeited to Bitcoin pool. If some one dies, the Bitcoin is gone unless they leave a will and code. That means there is income from all that, How can it lose. There are so many computers checking it that its viable on its own.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Senior Moderator
I agree about the moral aspect. But whether we like it or not its real. If someone loses their code their money is forfeited to Bitcoin pool. If some one dies, the Bitcoin is gone unless they leave a will and code. That means there is income from all that, How can it lose. There are so many computers checking it that its viable on its own.

If you just look at Bitcoin as a means of gambling, then you might say it's Ok. But, then you have to consider the huge cost to the environment of this gambling. In my view, it will eventually be banned.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
That is certainly not the correct view to hold for silver. While the supply of gold indeed changes little and little is used up, that is not the same for silver which has but a fraction of the amount there was say 50 or 70 years ago. Silver is within a few years, maybe 15 of becoming basically all used up.
You could be right. But Gold is the best and if I were to go for something else I would go for platinum.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Was that not expensive for the time?
That is what he paid. It is 16 times as expensive now. He was driving in the wet on a main road on a dark night. A crowd of tinkers got stuck and the lights of their banger went out. They were pushing it. He never saw them. They ran aside and he ploughed into it writing it off. I had to listen to him crying about it for a year and he borrowed mine too.

Last edited:

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
I was fluting around with CRH Erricson and so on. I should have been in Amazon, Apple and Micro soft.

Latest User Threads