What's new

Interesting Concepts in Science and Mathematics

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Plenty. But here's a fun one that touches on what we were discussing
i.e. using abstract concepts to solve real world problems.

You can solve it using "real world" math logic.
But you can solve it easier if you use something else!! :LOL:

"Five men and a monkey were shipwrecked on an island. They spent the first night gathering coconuts. During the night, one man woke up and decided to take his share of the coconuts. He divided them into five piles. One coconut was left over so he gave it to the monkey, then hid his share, put the rest back together, and went back to sleep.

Soon a second man woke up and did the same thing. After dividing the coconuts into five piles, one coconut was left over which he gave to the monkey. He then hid his share, put the rest back together, and went back to bed.

The third, fourth, and fifth man followed exactly the same procedure.

The next morning, after they all woke up, they divided the remaining coconuts into five equal shares. Again just one was left over which they gave to the monkey.

How many coconuts were there in the original pile?"
Lets give Mowl a 2 day chance before we answer. He'll work it out in gig time

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
No offense dude, but Mowl hands you your arse on a plate every single time.

The rest of us laugh.
Then why did you and Tadgh get so hot and bothered when I pointed out his drug abuse. It is illegal after all. You all freaked out, you did not laugh.

Are you a junkie as well?

Mowl

Ireland's Most Hated
Lets give Mowl a 2 day chance before we answer. He'll work it out in gig time

Mowl isn't even remotely interested in your childish and semi-literate bullshit, Val.

As I told you yesterday - minus numbers do exist - it's minus three in Ireland today.
No offense dude, but Mowl hands you your arse on a plate every single time.

The rest of us laugh.

It's a tough job handing over an arse as fat and stinking as Val's: but I try nonetheless.

Then why did you and Tadgh get so hot and bothered when I pointed out his drug abuse. It is illegal after all. You all freaked out, you did not laugh.

Are you a junkie as well?

You're skirting the bottom of the barrel there, Val - better be careful, all it takes is one quick call to Cavan Garda Station at +353494368800 and you're in the shit again.

PS: possession of marijuana is no longer a crime - it's not even a misdemeanor. You must have been fired from your last job as a Dick - you don't even know the laws of the land. Typical Irish pig: dumb as a fence-post and uglier than a scarecrow.

Irish pigs are the dumbest in Europe - they're both corrupt AND useless.

Make even one more claim against me and I'll have you dragged into Cavan Garda Station by your old pals to give you a serious working-over with a telephone directory shoved up your manky jumper to avoid bruising you while they pummel your fat gut for a few hours.

Thicko.

PS: what punishment is Val getting?

@Youngdan @Belgrade @Tadhg Gaelach

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Mowl isn't even remotely interested in your childish and semi-literate bullshit, Val.

As I told you yesterday - minus numbers do exist - it's minus three in Ireland today.

It's a tough job handing over an arse as fat and stinking as Val's: but I try nonetheless.

You're skirting the bottom of the barrel there, Val - better be careful, all it takes is one quick call to Cavan Garda Station at +353494368800 and you're in the shit again.

PS: possession of marijuana is no longer a crime - it's not even a misdemeanor. You must have been fired from your last job as a Dick - you don't even know the laws of the land. Typical Irish pig: dumb as a fence-post and uglier than a scarecrow.

Make even one more claim against me and I'll have you dragged into Cavan Garda Station by your old pals to give you a serious working-over with a telephone directory shoved up your manky jumper to avoid bruising you while they pummel your fat gut for a few hours.

Thicko.

DS is puffing too. I think I saw him on O'Connell Bridge last month fiddling fingers with a dodgy looking character.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member

Thicko.

Can't answer can ya?

Above all things, there are no minus numbers to measure temperature.
There cannot be a negative temperature. Centigrade only measures liquid water.

The air temperature in Helsinki to day is 276.15 Kelvin.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
The above spastic ruins every single site and every single thread with his deranged behaviour. Youngdan - its time you started a site.

And Valamhic - this one is for you -

They are looking for a young musician, Mowl fails on both counts.

The Helsinki Police Band is looking for young people aged 13–17 who are into music to perform at the Kansalaistori Square with a famous artist​

Mowl

Ireland's Most Hated
DS is puffing too. I think I saw him on O'Connell Bridge last month fiddling fingers with a dodgy looking character.

Nobody knows what you're talking about, Val.

Even worse: nobody cares either.

Can't answer can ya?

Above all things, there are no minus numbers to measure temperature.
There cannot be a negative temperature. Centigrade only measures liquid water.

The air temperature in Helsinki to day is 276.15 Kelvin.

In attempting to calculate your IQ, Val - we can ONLY deal in minus numbers.

The same applies to your personal hygiene.

The above spastic ruins every single site and every single thread with his deranged behaviour. Youngdan - its time you started a site.

Stick to playing the banjo in the corner of Galway's stinkiest crusty-frequented bar.

And when you're done there, get your skinny butt down to Spanish Arch and do a striptease for the lads.

What did this young musician do that the cops are after him, Val?

Did he steal your harmonica?

Tell us, Val: why did you stop doing the intro from Hall's Pictorial Weekly with your harmonica? I reckon you and Frog should get together and start your own crusty band, like The Big Geraniums. You get to wear the same clothes for weeks on end, and manky jumpers are the first and most basic requirement.

I know the lads and lassies very well, and often played with them. Neil and I also toured around the world together, he's a class fiddle-player. Note the lack of any banjo in this track? See? Frog's unemployable.

I will settle for him handing us the answer to the question

What the fuck are you talking about now, Thicko?

What question?

Why does Val stink so bad?

If you were reading you would know that. The coconut question

Val - stay OFF the whiskey, FFS.

He's drunk - again.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member

The Helsinki Police Band is looking for young people aged 13–17 who are into music to perform at the Kansalaistori Square with a famous artist​

I want to make it clear that I will never shop Mowl to the Helsinki Police substance abuse section. Its their job to find him not mine.

Of course if they post a reward, I might reconsider.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Senior Moderator
Yes that series does a much better job of explaining it than my short post on the topic!

But, you did very well :geek: (y) That series is very good - it goes right up to Riemann Surfaces without getting bogged down in unnecessary complication.

Last edited:
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Senior Moderator
The Romans never spotted the potential of coal. They used charcoal for smelting iron. They should have spotted it. They never copped the potential of saltpetre either to make gun powder.
The invention of the steam engine was held back by the inability to make strong steel boilers. Before that the maximum pressure a boiler could withstand was 5 pounds per sq inch.

In my time, the mobile phone was held back by the inability to make small batteries.

I wonder shy they did not spot the oil and distil it. The moment oil came along the Internal combustion engine was invented.

The Romans weren't innovators. They got the saddle and steel from the Celts, their mathematics and architecture from the Egyptians and Greeks, along with military strategy. The one area they did have something new to give the world was their level of sheer terrorism and inhumanity. The world was literally shocked into submission by their terrorism. But, Rome really collapsed when the Library in Alexandria was burned. The Empire had been living on its intellectual treasures for centuries. It was all downhill after that.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
The Romans weren't innovators. They got the saddle and steel from the Celts, their mathematics and architecture from the Egyptians and Greeks, along with military strategy. The one area they did have something new to give the world was their level of sheer terrorism and inhumanity. The world was literally shocked into submission by their terrorism. But, Rome really collapsed when the Library in Alexandria was burned. The Empire had been living on its intellectual treasures for centuries. It was all downhill after that.
A book I read said the Roman Empire was brought down by slavery which stopped the economy thriving. Good skilled labour could not compete with forced free labour and this segment perished,

I agree that the Romans were terrorists of the most cruel variety and BBC documentaries to the contrary are crap. It was cruel Rome that led to Christianity in reaction. I cannot see how there would be any Christianity without Roman cruelty. It was Roman soldiers who killed Christ.

In my opinion it was the most horrific empire in history

Last edited:

Latest User Threads