Chat Politics.ie and its scam posters. Lets apply the valamhic test.

Local time
Today, 03:39
I am not sure what I said. but light is just as susceptible to gravity as anything else. Nothing larger than an atom can avoid gravity and no sub atomic particle can escape gravity. That includes electro magnetic radiation of which light is a form. The proof is that light leaving a black hole is prevented from escaping from the black hole and we can never see it. There is no greater reduction in speed than to stop altogether and (although it is never observed) to be pulled back into its source.

If light leaves a distant source "A" it travels through the vacuum at SOL. If it encounters a massive object like a large star "B" in its path it will be pulled right into it (the portion on that path) The proof is an eclipse of the moon coming between the sun and earth. The portion of the light that is not on a collision path with the star "B" may bend due to the gravitational pull or the star and set off towards us on a new path so we can see it.

If that star "B" were not there, it would take 1,000,000 light years to reach us.

The existence of the star "B" gives a path in the shape of an obtuse triangle. The long side being the direct line and the other two sides being the actual length the light has to travel. The bent light takes longer to arrive to us, but its speed never alters, it just travels a longer journey.
Yes, I remember you giving the example of a black hole for the reason light must slow down.

Why think of it like that? Light "bends" because of the 'curvature of space'.. so why not think of light not escaping (beyond the event horizon of) a black hole because it's like bending around in a circle.. Rather than it slows down.. and stops

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Take a deck of cards =52

The probability of pulling the ace of hearts is 1/52, if it is not placed back, the probability of pilling the ace of spades is 1/51. The probability of
pylling both from a fresh deck is 52 X 51 = 2652 to 1

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Yes, I remember you giving the example of a black hole for the reason light must slow down.

Why think of it like that? Light "bends" because of the 'curvature of space'.. so why not think of light not escaping (beyond the event horizon of) a black hole because it's like bending around in a circle.. Rather than it slows down.. and stops
Its to prove that light is claimed by gravity in the same way that anything else is. In the case of light leaving a star slightly weaker than a black hole, it is only slowed down for the shortest time as it moves out. from then on it travels at SOL. The energy to make the light move must exceed the gravity for it to move away. Only a black hole can produce enough gravity within its horizon to retard the light.

Local time
Take a deck of cards =52

The probability of pulling the ace of hearts is 1/52, if it is not placed back, the probability of pilling the ace of spades is 1/51. The probability of
pylling both from a fresh deck is 52 X 51 = 2652 to 1
Sorry, I was just saying that the probability of one random person having the same birthday as another random person is 1/364.25.. which equals your more precise figure of 0.274

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Thats cheating. we use model and not actuals. If one student was born on the 29th February and they were all within 4 years of each other, the odds would differ. It is considered not gentlemanly to to stray off the model. of 365

Last edited:

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Its bed time. What if there are 365 days in a year and 30 students? What is the probability of any 2 students having the same birth day?

I enjoyed the craic though

Last edited:
Local time
Its to prove that light is claimed by gravity in the same way that anything else is. In the case of light leaving a star slightly weaker than a black hole, it is only slowed down for the shortest time as it moves out. from then on it travels at SOL. The energy to make the light move must exceed the gravity for it to move away. Only a black hole can produce enough gravity within its horizon to retard the light.
Light travels at a constant speed.. and independent of the observer.. It's one of the fascinating..and counter-intuitive things about light. Is it not?

Youngdan

Staff member
Admin
Trusted Member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:39
Except its not correct, the answer is .274%. In a class in another town there are 30 students. What is the probability of at least 2 having the same birthday?
Surprisingly high as it turns out

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Light travels at a constant speed.. and independent of the observer.. It's one of the fascinating..and counter-intuitive things about light. Is it not?
It is completely intuitive to me. The problem is that its distorted in the media.

The speed at which anything can travel is directly related to the speed at which particles in an atom move. The forces of energy
acting in an atom would (if allowed) cause the particles to accelerate at an every increasing speed. A universe where that could happen
would not be like ours. Everything would be in gas form. In our universe the forces reach a limit where the particles simply cannot go any faster.

(in addition, time itself slows within the atom). The particles do not move linear, but in discrete steps. Click, click, click. At the interface between these steps, electromagnetic radiation is emitted and light is a simple example of that. Its like a rifle which is only capable of pushing the bullet at 2000 feet per second, the bullet will never increase speed thereafter. There is no such thing as an object, just a collection of atoms large enough for us to see.

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
The first sentence is correct. SOL exists in all time frames. What happens in the case of a bent beam of light is that the total distance it travels is increased. There are some great examples of gravitational lenzing on the Hubble Space Telescope web site. The greatest leap forward in science I ever witnessed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is regarded strange that all this come natural to me, I dont know why. However there are instances where I am challenged a little.

Quantum entanglement is a case in point. Great fun there.

Last edited:

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Surprisingly high as it turns out
I hate when someone starts on about leap years. Not you, because it dilutes the pure science. By U2 does it. Not to worry. 365 days in a year.

Say there are 30 students, all different names. The chances of Tom having a birthday is 100% say its on the 16th September.

The chances of any one other having a birthday is 364 / 365 X100 = .0274 but there are 29 other students so X 29 = 7.49%

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
I am glad U2 contributes, he/she has brains. The whole idea is about the invention of the valamhic sock identification method and the new model
which will be named the valamhic sock dynamic method. The method examines the posts of suspected sock master "Principal" and compares them with the posts of suspected sock puppets to establish the probability of the two being the same.

It has found that mowl is the principal for a ;lot of socks and proved the IP address is capable of being circumvented. Page 61 is nearly there
and I predict he will gently disappear for the scene, Godsdog will be harder to shift because he has fooled PI admin so long, they cannot believe it.

Having nailed DS, Ollie, Mishka we are on the cusp of nailing Page 61 and Godsdog.

If anyone wants to nail a suspected sock on any site, please nominate him and I will in time apply the valahmic dynamic test.

Last edited:

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
A thing to remember about deserted isle is if you register you can be IP banned, if you don't you cannot be IP banned.

Deleted member is scoring high to day for a Mowl Sock. Remember Ollie calling Justin Barretr a Nazi scum and getting his knickers in a knot about anti jewish sentiment. Here is his post of deserted Isle

Nazi scum. Remember all your antisemetic threads on political irish Nazi boy? You're going down you knuckle dragging scummer
I've compiled a list of your Hitler worshipping, anti Jewish threads on pish that I'll pass on to the relevant authorities.

Nazi scum, rat faced khunt. score 30%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another post. Note reference to mental illness which is common to Mowl

Maybe he banned you because you're mentally unstable? Banned is a common word used by mowl too. score 10% + 5%

total score so far = 45%

Last edited:

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Eriugene is suspect on PI. Here is a post. only joined 3 days ago.

PI Member
JoinedSep 13, 2020Messages100Likes 165

TW Tone said:
"I begin to worry that I am obsessed with Pat Kenny.
"
"These people are pure poison. For the sake of mental health and emotional well-being I would strongly urge people to have little or nothing to do with the mass media: definitely no TV, no radio news or talk, no newspapers, especially op/ed content. Gather the bare facts from internet aggregators.
I disengaged from all this slurry many years ago and my peace and happiness improved greatly.
In short, unplug from the matrix."

Pure Mowl, PI is reaking with Mowl socks, Jazus

Last edited:
Local time
It is completely intuitive to me.
If I shine a light at you from a stationary position the light travels towards you at the speed of light, c. If was shining the light at you and moving towards you at a velocity, v, it would be intuitive to think that the light would then be travelling at a speed c + v. But it doesn't, it's still just c.

Local time
The first sentence is correct. SOL exists in all time frames. What happens in the case of a bent beam of light is that the total distance it travels is increased. There are some great examples of gravitational lenzing on the Hubble Space Telescope web site. The greatest leap forward in science I ever witnessed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is regarded strange that all this come natural to me, I dont know why. However there are instances where I am challenged a little.

Quantum entanglement is a case in point. Great fun there.
Haha.. we've been through all this before

Light travels in straight lines
Light travels at a constant speed
Gravity has no direct effect on light

valamhic

Legal Advisor
Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Haha.. we've been through all this before

1) Light travels in straight lines So how does light travel to earth from a distant source when there there is massive gravitional field in it path?
See this limk which contains a photo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_lens
2) Light travels at a constant speed? correct if it is in a vacuum and is not inhibited only. but remember speed = distance over time. With gravitation
lenzing, the distance is increased so the light takes longer to reach the observer.
Gravity has no direct effect on light, Wrong Read this https://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae661.cfm

3) Do you agree that a black hole prevents light from escaping and that it is the gravitation pull of the black hole which does it.

Last edited:

Clanrickard

Staff member
Local time
H

The only thing that immediately springs to mind is if they had a section pushing the Irish language, but they don't.