Scientists - Conspiracy Theorists Have a Fundamental Cognitive Problem

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Today, 19:49

Anyone with any intelligence looking around them will realize that the world is in a very bad place. We have massive corruption, brainwashing, media lies, huge gaps between the rich and the poor - and millions of people suffering needless deprivation. In my view, only the study of Marx can equip the human mind with the tools required to understand the plight we are in - and to begin to pull ourselves out of that horrible plight. But, needless to say, the ruling classes do not want the people to read Marx and understand what's going on. They have spent millions of dollars slandering Marx and pretending that his works are "disproved" or "out of date, " or just irrelevant. But, there is a cost to the ruling class in doing this. And the cost comes about because even if you slander Marx and stop people reading him, you can't hide from the people that things are going very wrong.

And what is this price? Conspiracy Theory. When the people are deprived of Marxist Theory, they will make up their own folk theory - or Conspiracy Theory. That's my view. Some scientists, however, are claiming that Conspiracy Theorists actually suffer from a form of mental retardation.

The world’s a scary, unpredictable place, and that makes your brain mad. As a predictive organ, the brain is on the constant lookout for patterns that both explain the world and help you thrive in it. That ability helps humans make sense of the world. For example, you probably understand by now that if you see red, that means that you should be on the lookout for danger.

But as scientists report in a 2017 paper published in the European Journal of Social Psychology, sometimes people sense danger even when there is no pattern to recognize — and so their brains create their own. This phenomenon, called illusory pattern perception, they write, is what drives people who believe in conspiracy theories, like climate change deniers, 9/11 truthers, and “Pizzagate” believers.

The researchers suggest that irrational beliefs are born from pattern perception because of the “automatic tendency to make sense of the world by identifying meaningful relationships between stimuli.” But distortions can happen, and the brain can connect dots that are actually nonexistent. People are bad at judging what’s random and believe that, often times, patterns are actually coincidences, which leads to irrational connections between unrelated stimuli. For example, just because societal power is dominated by the rich does not mean those rich people are Illuminati Satanists, though that is a thing that many people believe.

Vargo Hoat

Trusted Member
Local time
The internet is largely to blame. And general idiocy.

Utter gobshites, who in bygone times would have been dismissed as quacks, now submerge themselves in online echo chambers where all their pre-conceived ideas are reinforced by guru types (usually Americans) who give them simplistic answers to what are very complex issues. They then become brainwashed and delusional, convinced that they know more about viruses than virologists because they watched a 10 minute YouTube clip.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
Utter gobshites, who in bygone times would have been dismissed as quacks, now submerge themselves in online echo chambers where all their pre-conceived ideas are reinforced by guru types (usually Americans) who give them simplistic answers to what are very complex issues. They then become brainwashed and delusional, convinced that they know more about viruses than virologists because they watched a 10 minute YouTube clip.
What?

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
Do you know a conspiracy theorist who is convinced they know more about viruses than a virologist because they watched a ten minute YouTube clip?

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
... or was it just a stupid straw man.

You strike me as stupid, and obnoxious

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Do you know a conspiracy theorist who is convinced they know more about viruses than a virologist because they watched a ten minute YouTube clip?

I've encountered lots of them, alas.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
I read a comment today that the average age of Covid deaths is above life expectancy.. So if you want to live longer, get Covid :)

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
I know someone who believes that there is a (white) racist paramilitary force in America executing blacks..called the police

Yes, there are graveyards full of black people who came to the same conclusion.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
Yes, there are graveyards full of black people who came to the same conclusion.
It's bunkum.

If you were objective (and curious) you would know that.

Alas, you rely on a few anecdotes (and even they invariably fall flat on their face, e.g. George 'Fentanyl' Floyd) the fake news media tells you about to arrive at your conclusion.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
It's bunkum.

If you were objective (and curious) you would know that.

Alas, you rely on a few anecdotes (and even they invariably fall flat on their face, e.g. George 'Fentanyl' Floyd) the fake news media tells you about to arrive at your conclusion.

You seem to have a rather right wing view of the world.

U2 Documentary

Trusted Member
Local time
You seem to have a rather right wing view of the world.
Just the facts ma'am.

Btw, you seem to think that there's something (inherently) wrong with (a) right-wing (view).

Funnily enough, I never use the term left-wing, in a critical sense.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Trusted Member
Local time
Just the facts ma'am.

Btw, you seem to think that there's something (inherently) wrong with (a) right-wing (view).

Funnily enough, I never use the term left-wing, in a critical sense.

I think the right wing view often lacks a sense of empathy with the oppressed.